In today’s era of heightened awareness about what we put into our bodies, dental amalgam fillings, often referred to as ‘silver fillings,’ have emerged as a significant concern. This concern stems from the presence of mercury, a known neurotoxin, in these fillings.

Scientific evidence has shown that these fillings continuously release small amounts of toxic vapor into the body, presenting risks to our health over time.

So, what exactly are amalgam fillings, and why are they considered risky? Moreover, how can we safely remove them? Let’s look into these questions and explore the topic further.

What Are Amalgam Fillings?

Amalgam fillings, often called ‘silver fillings’ due to their appearance, consist of a mixture of metals including mercury, silver, tin, copper, and zinc.

Despite the name, these fillings contain about 50% mercury. The unique properties of mercury allow it to bind with other metals, forming a durable material used for filling cavities and repairing decayed teeth.

Why Mercury in Fillings?

Mercury has been used in dental fillings since the early 1800s, despite its controversial nature. Initially met with resistance due to concerns about mercury poisoning, its continued use was driven by factors such as cost-effectiveness and ease of application.

However, debates surrounding the safety of mercury in dental fillings have persisted for over a century.

What are the Risks of Mercury?

Mercury’s toxicity is a cause for concern, especially considering its prevalence in dental amalgam fillings. While other metals in the filling pose fewer risks, mercury’s high toxicity levels make it particularly hazardous.
Exposure to mercury can have detrimental effects on various aspects of health, with pregnant women and children being especially vulnerable.

The Dangers of Amalgam Fillings

Despite their widespread use, amalgam fillings present significant health risks. With millions of Americans having these fillings, the continuous release of mercury vapor during everyday activities like chewing can lead to mercury buildup in the body over time.
This buildup has been linked to various health issues, ranging from neurological symptoms to respiratory problems and long-term brain damage.

Safe Removal of Amalgam Fillings

Given the risks associated with mercury exposure, the safe removal of amalgam fillings is paramount. Choosing a qualified biological dentist who follows established protocols for safe removal is crucial.
Specialized techniques such as the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART) minimize the risk of additional mercury exposure during the removal process.

Summing Up

As advocates for holistic dentistry, we at Pearl Modern Dentistry prioritize the use of safe, biocompatible materials and oppose the use of mercury fillings.

Our commitment to preserving natural tooth structure and providing a caring, safe environment underscores our approach to dental care. If you’re considering the removal of your amalgam fillings, we encourage you to reach out to our experts for a consultation.

Your oral health is our top priority, and we’re here to support you on your journey to a healthier smile.

To learn more about safe mercury amalgam removal and our holistic approach to dentistry, schedule an appointment with our experts. Contact us at any one of our locations at Houston Heights (713) 766-4389 or Humble (346) 476-0627 to take the first step towards a healthier, mercury-free smile.

Skip to content